What are 3 important life events of Clara Barton?
- She was painfully shy.
- She opened one of the first free public schools in New Jersey.
- As one of the first women to work for the federal government, she fought for equal pay.
- Her work as a Civil War nurse and relief worker began with the Baltimore Riot.
What are 3 interesting facts about Clara Barton?
- She wasn’t always called Clara. She was born Clarissa Harlowe Barton!
- She never formally studied nursing. Barton was a self-taught nurse.
- Clara Barton’s missing soldiers office was re-discovered by accident. Photo courtesy of the National Museum of Civil War Medicine.
Did Clara Barton have an education?
Clara Barton gained an education at local schools and through home tutoring from her older brothers and sisters. Miss Barton cared for her brother David Barton, who was injured and bedridden following a fall from a barn roof.